Sleep dentistry in Melbourne and Geelong
Overcoming dental fear with sleep dentistry
When it comes to modern dentistry, there are so many options available to patients. Sleep dentistry allows you to be completely unconscious while your dental procedure takes place—meaning that you don’t have to sit through the procedure.
The Point Dental is Melbourne’s leading dental practice for addressing dental fear. We have at onsite General Anaesthetic Facility available to patients, allowing you to receive your treatment fully asleep, without feeling any pain or discomfort.
Sleep dentistry at The Point Dental addresses the dental fear associated with many procedures, including:
- All-on-4 dental implants
- Preventative dentistry
- Root canal treatment
- Wisdom teeth removal
- Gum treatment
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Dental implants
Get advice on sleep dentistry to help you overcome dental fear. Talk to our friendly team today.
Advantages of sleep dentistry
Sleep dentistry uses general anaesthetic to place patients into an unconscious state. When you’re under, you will not hear, feel, see, or remember anything from your sleep dentistry procedure.
Sleep dentistry under general anaesthesia ensures that:
- Your airway is fully protected from foreign material
- Oxygen is continuously supplied to your lungs
- You remain immobile throughout the procedure
Due to the sensitive nature of anaesthetics, sleep dentistry can only be performed by a highly trained specialist anaesthetist. Sleep dentistry can also be carried out for a long duration, allowing your dentist to perform multiple procedures in one session.
Sleep Dentistry at The Point Dental
The Point Dental is one of Australia’s few dental clinics to offer an in-house general anaesthetic procedure, without the need for visiting a hospital or outpatient facility. As Melbourne’s leading treatment facility for dental fear, we are proud to offer outpatients:
- Highly trained specialist anaesthetists with many years of experience
- All dental procedures performed at once, under one roof
- Sleep dentistry fees claimable from Medicare
The Point Dental offers sleep dentistry in Melbourne and Geelong. Our practice is located in Point Cook midway between the two cities, and is accessible by car or train.
Frequently asked questions
Will I feel any pain or discomfort?
During your procedure, you will feel nothing. However, after your procedure, you may still feel some slight pain and discomfort during the healing period. Our expert dental team will advise you on how to manage pain and discomfort in the time following your procedure.
How much does sleep dentistry cost?
The final cost of sleep dentistry will depend on what kind of procedures you need completed in a session. For accurate costs and to book your own appointment, get in touch with the friendly team at The Point Dental.
Who is suitable for sleep dentistry?
Sleep dentistry is most suitable for people who suffer dental fear, or those who experience:
- Fear of needles or drills
- Bad past dental experiences
- A strong gag reflex
It’s also suitable for young children, or people who need multiple procedures and lengthy appointments.
What are some other alternatives to sleep dentistry?
If you’d rather not be under general anaesthetic for your procedure, there are several other options available to you to help you overcome dental fear.
- Headphones and eye masks can help keep you distracted and fully immersed while your procedure takes place.
- Anti-anxiety medication like Valium can work with headphones and eye masks to further reduce your exposure to the procedure.
- Penthrox inhalation sedation is a self-administered anxiety treatment, allowing you to control the relief you need.
- Intravenous sedation puts you in the twilight zone between sleep and relaxation, ensuring that you are conscious, but feel no pain or discomfort.
In the end, there’s no better treatment for dental fear than full general anaesthesia administered by a highly trained anaesthetist at The Point Dental.
Sleep Dentistry Melbourne at The Point Dental
At The Point Dental, we understand that going to the dentist is never an easy decision for you. If you are nervous about going to the dentist, we are here to help! To find our more about how we can help, book your appointment today by calling us on 1800 NO FEAR or filling out our online form